Saturday 26 May 2012

Billy's Camp No. 15 and 16, Alice Springs and Tennant Creek

2605/12

Hi all,
Alice Springs and Tennant Creek
I have spent a week here at Stuart Caravan Park and flew back to Canberra for a week to see my grandson and the girls.
Alice Springs is a clean tidy town with friendly people. I saw a few of the local attractions but didnt venture too far. The highlight would have been the walk up to Mt Gillen, rather steep, but worth it. The end view was 360 degrees unobstructed. Given Alice is in the middle of Oz, I felt I had a 360 degree view of Australia.

Tennant Creek
I camped at The Pebbles about 20k north of Tennant Creek in a bush camp, for three nights. Good to get out of the caravan parks. I did a tour of a gold mine at Tennant Creek and listened to a guys life story for 2 hours :( . The towns main street business's are fortress's of steel bars and hordings.
From Alice to Tennant was about 500 k's and again no towns just service points, and about 5 bends in the road. Petrol at Tennant is $1.70/l. I think i'm about to get hammered at Borroloola, ...it happens !






Thats where Im going....Mt Gillen


The last little bit was a climb up here

Whoa....you nearly got it girls...


All pics below are to various directions



Look closely and you'll seee the track up

Pine gap..the golf balls







Dont know the history, it was at Alice Springs Telegraph Station

And I thought my billy carts were goodins


At the Transport and Truck museum Alice Springs

Nigel the navigator...

No wrong turns yet..

This is supposed to be a desert !

Termite mounds



Curiosity got the better of me


No camper on tho...

Devils marbles about 100k south of Tennant Creek





On the side of the road....they're about 5 mil in diameter


Looks a lot like a hibiscus to me












The next destination

Ok i'm heading to King Ash Bay near Borroloola, its a fishing club camp with all the typical top end fish species available, its just up to me. I'm looking forward to the water and the climate, 30's during the day and 20's at night, enjoy Canberra's winter folks. Ha ! I dont anticipate phone or internet coverage for quite some time.

See ya's                                                                                                                                              

1 comment:

  1. Crocodiles, eels, a feed of fish and crabs and a beer - what more could you ask for! Sis

    ReplyDelete